Sunday, March 18, 2012

Time to Escape

Last year I had the opportunity to host a student teacher in my special education classroom for a semester.  It was a great experience for both of us; we both learned and grew in our teaching profession.  For me it was an opportunity to look deeper inside and bring out my love of teaching special needs students.  It came at a time for me that I felt a little burned out, a little discouraged that try as hard as we may, things don't always happen as we would like, but that at the end of the day, if I have touched someone's heart or helped someone learn a new task or if I have handled a situation without showing my frustration, then it has been a worthwhile day.  Having a student teacher really pulled me out of a rut and I am grateful for her.

I must have helped her in some way, because she felt terribly grateful for my mentoring.  After her graduation she generously gave me a gift certificate to a bed and breakfast in Globe, about 90 minutes from here.  After realizing that it had been nearly 4 years since Kevin and I had gotten away together, we happily made plans, left the kids with grandparents, and headed to the great land of Globe. 

Not much in Globe.  It's mostly a mining town, but we did enjoy a nice dinner at an Italian restaruant, a nice room at the Inn, a hearty, homemade breakfast, and a beautiful sunrise.  I particularly enjoyed Kevin's sunrise serenade.

No comments:

Post a Comment